DJI has officially announced what was rumoured for weeks: the Mavic Air 2. In the preceding fortnight many of the details leaked including photos of the drone and its new controller, the camera specs and more.
But here’s the bottom line: the Mavic Air 2 is a big upgrade over the original and costs exactly the same as before, which is great news.
Here are some of the highlights of the drone:
- 1/2in 48Mp sensor
- 4K / 60fps video @ 120Mb/sec
- Slo-mo 1080p @ 240fps
- 4K / 30fps HDR video
- Up to 34-minute flight time
- Ocusync 2.0 (10km range)
- FocusTrack (including Spotlight 2.0, ActiveTrack 3.0 and POI 3.0)
- APAS 3.0
When is the Mavic Air 2 release date?
DJI launched the Air 2 globally on 28 April, with no live stream or event. It’s available to buy immediately in China, but in other countries you’ll be able to pre-order and expect your Mavic Air 2 to arrive in mid-May. In the UK you can pre-order the new drone from Heliguy, among other DJI partners.
The coronavirus pandemic has caused a shortage of components requires for ADS-B (AirSense) so this feature will only be available on North American models to begin with. Those sold elsewhere will lack it but will otherwise identical.
How much does the Mavic Air 2 cost?
It’s the same as its predecessor. That means £769 / $799 / €849. And that’s for the standard package, which includes the controller, spare props and a single battery.
The Fly More kit comes with three batteries, ND filters, a shoulder bag and a charging hub. That’s £949 / $999 / €1049.
What are the Mavic Air 2 specifications?
- Size folded: 180×97×84 mm
- Size unfolded: 183×253×77 mm
- Weight: 570g
- Max flight time: 34 minutes
- Max flight speed: 19m/s (Sport mode), 5m/s (Tripod mode)
- Max wind resistance: 8.-10.5m/s
- Internal storage: 8GB (microSD up to 256GB)
- Camera sensor: 1/2in CMOS, 48Mp (8000×6000 pixels)
- Camera lens: f/2.8, FOV 84°, 24mm equivalent
- Gimbal: 3-axis mechanical
- Photos: 12Mp or 48Mp JPG / DNG (RAW)
- Video: Up to 4K / 60fps, HDR up to 4K / 30fps.
- Max bitrate: 120Mb/sec
- Colour profiles: D-Cinelike, Normal
- Video formats: MP4 / MOV; H.265 / H.264 AVC; H.265 / H.264 HEVC
- Vision system: Forward, backward, downward
For more, read our first impressions of the Mavic Air 2.